Home Forums DIY Packrafts Convertible Spray Deck option

• Creator
    Topic
    Damo
    Participant

Hi, can the spray deck be installed with a few modifications to allow it to be removed/stored.  I was thinking maybe 2 long zips along the sides allowing you roll it up, and then adding a velcro flap at the rear to hold it in place when in use.  I noticed another member installed a similar option, but it looked like he designed and installed a complete different spray deck, but could the standard spray deck be altered during the install to allow this to happen?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Damo
      Participant

I assume an extra long TiZip would be very expensive and a heavy duty YKK zip would not be waterproof. Velcro could be an option but it wouldn’t stand up to a wave dumping of water in a class 3+ river.

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Pretty much, yeah.

Alpacka used to use wide velcro (and maybe still do on some spray decks) but people complain about water getting in through the velcro.

You can buy “waterproof” (more like water-resistant) zippers of various lengths on Amazon and elsewhere. Some of them even have a heat sealable TPU coating on one side. Remember you’ll need a separating zipper (like zippers used in jackets), not ones that are closed at the ends (like zippered pockets).

#5 zippers are a bit small. I’d prefer a #10 for a spray deck but they are less common.

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Hi Damo – yep, it’s definitely doable, I just don’t offer it as an official option because I haven’t found a reliable zipper supplier. Cheers

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.