Home Forums DIY Packrafts Doubeling the width of seam strips?

• Creator
    Topic
    Clemens
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve built three packrafts already (1x Ironraft, 2x DIY-packrafts) and I’m about to start with my fourth one.

I’ve  been using the three boats on lakes, rivers and white water and all in all I’m very happy with them. Although my heat sealing techniques got better from boat to boat, I’m still far away from fully airtight builds and every now and then (more often than I’d like) I have to check for leaks and reseal them. Especially on longer trips that’s a really bad feeling.

In my case, most tiny leaks come over time from small holes in my seam strips. I always thought that this one centimeter seam is bold for this integral part of the raft and since I got a lot of black fabric to spare, I was wondering if it made sense to double the width of those strips (or maybe make them as wide as my welding iron).
    I’m aware that this will be a pain in the ass to weld but welding seam strips is already not too much fun and while you’re at it, why not suffer a little bit more?

Do you think that it’d make sense/that it’s possible? Of course I don’t want to ruin my raft.
    Any advice/oppinions is/are highly appreciated!

Cheers!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Clemens
      Participant

Hey Matt!

Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately this was back in the day, when applying Aquasure on  seams wasn’t ‘en vogue’ so I’ve only used it at the bottom bits where the seams join the floor. On my next one I’ll be sure to do it on the seams as well.

I’m now thinking about fixing all leaks in my existing rafts as good as possible and then slice them open on ~4 locations with maybe 15cm slits to generously apply seam sealer on all seams after the fact. Afterwards I’d just patch them up again.

Does that sound crazy? I think I’d take the risk of cutting open a good raft to get a more airtight built.

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Hi! I’ve increased the seam width in the kits to 30 mm based on customer feedback, but I haven’t tried any wider than that. I think it should be fine to go wider, but only up to a point (because the tubes meet at an angle and the seam strips have to mold to them).

Also, I’m not sure if you’ve been adding seam sealer to the inside of the seams, but since I started doing that I haven’t had any leaks.

Cheers

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.