Home Forums DIY Packrafts Fix for seam strip fabric that has started to separate from TPU

• Creator
    Topic
    Aaron
    Participant

After a week on the river and going over a few rapids, it seems that tread on my water shoes was rubbing on the edge of a seam strip in the front. The fabric has started to separate from the TPU and is fraying. It doesn’t leak at all so it’s definitely still sealed. Would the best way to go about fixing this be just a lot of seam sealer?

This is the worst of it on the left side, it happened a tiny bit on the right as well. I think I may have to also make an inflatable foot box for the front to keep my feet from moving forward too much.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Hmm, yeah, I would apply some Seam Grip+WP or Aquaseal over these areas to prevent it from getting any worse. You could either cut away the part that has delaminated or glue it back down – it looks like there’s still plenty of fabric there so I wouldn’t be worried about the strength being compromised if you do cut it back (the seam strips are much wider than what’s required for a strong seam), but it might look better if you trim the edge straight and then glue it down.

Aaron
        Participant

Good to hear that it shouldn’t be compromised! I’ll just cut that fabric down and put a bunch of sealer on it. Much easier fix than anticipated!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.