Home Forums DIY Packrafts Floor to tube fabric heat sealing issues

• Creator
    Topic
    Sawtooth
    Participant

Hello all,

Been practicing my heat weld techniques for Skeena raft and seem to be having issues with the floor to tube fabric (all the TPU from floor peels off onto tube fabric).  I can get a good weld when just using tube on tube fabric, but for some reason the floor to tube is kicking my butt! Found this on the site:

If the TPU layers fuse into a single layer that peels away from only one piece of fabric when forced apart* (the one that you applied the iron to), either

Your iron is too hot – reduce the temperature.  Tried temps from 175 to 300 C
    You’re not applying enough pressure with the iron – press harder.  Pressed harder
    You’re not allowing enough time for heat to conduct through both layers of TPU – slow down.  Slowed down

I have attached a pic, any advice welcome!!!!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Sawtooth
      Participant

Thanks Matt!
      Yup, it is right beneath the paragraph I quoted! Apparently I needed to keep reading, lol!
      Take care and thanks for the quick response!

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

No problem!

In the meantime, I’ve changed it to bold text and added another bullet to the list.

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Don’t worry – that’s normal. It looks like you’re doing a good job. Sorry for the confusion.

The answer to your question is directly below the text you quoted – it’s even referred to by the asterisk in the quoted section 🙂

Since switching to the 450 GSM floor fabric, I get this question a lot, so I keep moving the information, thinking “Now people will notice it,” but clearly I am wrong… maybe it’s time for a new video.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.