Home Forums DIY Packrafts Gluing something to a packraft

• Creator
    Topic
    Apope
    Participant

Hello,

I had a quick question in regards to attaching something to my packraft. I want to attach a flexible, magnetic strip to the top of the tube (think of a thin fridge magnet in terms of thickness and flexibility) so on flat water I can set my metal cup on in and it will stay put.

What kind of glue or adhesive should I use to attach something like that packraft material? Would crazy glue work? would it damage the fabric? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Ruedi
      Participant

I think a try with a so called transfer tape could probably be a solution for this. I’m using 3M’s 9472 LE transfer tape to glue Dyneema for folding kayak hulls. The tape is expensive, but easy to apply, and the bond is very strong. I used it some days ago to glue two pieces of tpu coated nylon together. The tape connects the two tpu coated sides. It sticks not very well on the fabric side of the nylon. The tpu-to-tpu side bond is as strong as a welded bond. Wheter it is so airtight as a good welded bond, I simply do not know yet, as I haven’t tested this so far. If this would be the case, this “cold” bonding method could be an alternate method to bond lightweight fabric without the risk of damaging the thin tpu layer. I’ll proabably try this too in the near future. We’ll see …

Apope
      Participant

Thanks for the suggestions!

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

I have tried many adhesives and do not recommend any of them, but two that other people have recommended (I have not used them because they’re not available where I live) are HH-66 and Stabond. They will stick to the fabric, but I don’t know if they’ll stick to a magnet. You may have better luck heat sealing a piece of fabric over the magnet to hold it in place.

Cheers!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.