Home Forums DIY Packrafts Packraft Sizing?

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    OlympicMtnBoy
    Participant

I’m curious how people are finding the sizing? I have been using a very old aviation liferaft on my trips which is technically a 2 person raft (weighs about 7 lbs). Not very maneuverable but I can put my pack on the floor in front of me with my feet on either side.

If I measure as Matt says I should get a small, but will there be any room for a pack between my legs or will I always have to lash it on top? So far I have only carried a day pack and fishing gear and backpacked in to basecamp to paddle, so I’d like to have room to fit a daypack easily (overnight bag could still be lashed).

Anyone have pictures they can share with size of raft plans and size of person specified?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Hi @OlympicMtnBoy! The packrafts are designed with a fairly narrow cockpit to minimize weight and improve paddle clearance, so a pack will probably not fit between your legs. If you build a Large size, however, you will have an extra 20 cm (8″) of length and a day-pack would probably fit in front of your feet or behind your back.

An alternative would be to add an airtight zipper so you can store most of your gear inside the tubes and just have the essentials out where they can get wet.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.