Home Forums DIY Packrafts Seamgrip vs Aquaseal

• Creator
    Topic
    Maynard
    Participant

What do you recommend for the construction of the boats? What’s the difference between the two?
    Thanks.
    Cheers!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Ruedi
      Participant

According to an information I got from from McNett, the maker of Aquaseal, exactly the same product is sold in Europe under the name Aqua Sure (to be found e.g on amazon.de).

Stevoggo
      Participant

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply, I didn’t think to check the MSDS.

The main glue listed in that forum is no longer available. I did check the local hardware store and found the product Sika Bond, Tech grip. This is a high strength Polyurethane adhesive and it contains …….4,4′-Mthylenediphenyl disocynate…Ta Da…

I’m still squirrelling my supplies but I will get that and Aquaseal and maybe a couple of other products when i build and test them for the community.

Many thanks

Steve

Stevoggo
      Participant

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows if these glues are available under any other brand names. I can source them in Australia, but its been my experience in the past, that products like this are often available under other names and are occasionally much cheaper.

I noticed a lot of the diving forums use “shoe-goo” available at Woolworths for fixing a lot of their gear?

Does anyone know the “make up” of these glues/sealants? I am planning on making a couple of rafts and a bigger tube or better price would help.

many thanks

Steve

dwhite
      Participant

I also use Seam Grip as an excellent cover for abrasion exposed areas.  It is very abrasion resistant and won’t peel away.  Simply brush over the area of the material that is abraded and it will extend its wear life significantly.

Derrick

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Hi @stevoggo – I checked the MSDS for Aquaseal and it looks like the main ingredient is 4,4′-methylenediphenyl diisocyanate, with toluene as a solvent. Shoe Goo is tetrachloroethylene and styrene, 1,3-butadiene polymer. So, not the same thing, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t work just as well – the only way to know for sure would be to test them side by side.

This thread seems to have some good info from people in Australia, so give it a look: https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/What-brand-of-PU-Glue-do-you-use?page=1

Cheers!

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Welcome to the forum, @maynard!

I recommend both, each for different applications.

Aquaseal is best for installing valves, making permanent repairs, and gluing fabric together in places that can’t be heat-sealed. (Aquaseal cures with exposure to air, so when gluing two things together, apply Aquaseal to both surfaces and let them sit for at least 30 minutes before pressing them together, otherwise it will take a very long time to cure fully.)

Seam Grip is thinner and can be applied with the included brushes along the inside of seams so that even if your heat seals aren’t perfectly airtight, your tubes will not leak air. (Aquaseal can be used for the same purpose, but it won’t cover as much area.) Seam Grip can also be used to patch very small holes.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Matt (Admin).
        sldrose
        Participant

30 min or seconds?

Matt (Admin)
          Keymaster

Minutes… I can’t remember where I read that, but the idea is to use it like contact cement.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.