• Creator
    Topic
    hiroshi
    Participant

Nice to meet you.
    I ask some questions.

1. How much is the side tube diameter? cm
    2. how much is loading(Buoyancy)? kg
    3. Is “whitewater pacrafting” still possible on the single layer floor? Or is it double layer floors?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      hiroshi
      Participant

My packraft has a lot of leaks from incompletely sealed seams.
      Probably I think that the form of the bowl when heat seal iron does a curve was bad.
      Therefore the seems of the curve is not beautiful. Air seems to leak from there.
      When you made PACKRAFT for the first time, were there a lot of leaks from incompletely sealed seams? Will such a thing be a common thing?

Lyn St George
        Participant

I can’t really tell from the photo if you have a cargo zip, but if so could you get inside and apply some of Matt’s Tuck Tape over all the seams? I would do what Mike says first, and then run that tape over all the seams inside if possible. Looking inside my MRS X2, it has some sort of sealing tape over all the seams.

hiroshi
          Participant

I painted with soapy water and confirmed a puncture.
          I did a puncture from a floor and a connection part of the tube. The pressure and temperature of the iron to heat-seal did not seem to be enough.
          I think that you had to make it very exactly when you make it first. I reflect.
          Is “TUCK TAPE” the thing of $ 7.99 in the online shop?
          Should I stick this along a seam from the inside?

Matt (Admin)
            Keymaster

For a permanent fix, I recommend Seam Grip – I cannot guarantee that the tape will provide a perfectly airtight seal on the non-TPU side of the fabric, especially if it is applied across a seam.

Lyn St George
            Participant

Yes, though Tyvek tape will also do. If you have finished the process that Mike and Matt described, then applying this tape inside would be a good idea. I have only seen inside an MRS but I suspect that other manufacturers also seam-tape inside as well.

Mike

It is possible to go over your welds on the belts between the panels after the raft has been completed.  The inside of the chambers are the fabric side so if you deflate the raft and weld the belt again with the chamber flattened it will not hurt a thing.

I have found that a pressing tool helps set the weld on the belts.  I normally weld the belt the first time and then go over the entire belt one more time while the raft section is laying flat on a flat surface.  I can get those wrinkles out by heating the belt and then pressing with the little pressing tool I made.  here is a picture of the tool.

press

You can see more about this on a topic I posted as Tips and tricks.

Mike

hiroshi
      Participant

It was completed.

packraft
      However, there are many punctures.
      I must solve this puncture.
      I attach soapy water and find the place of the puncture and intend to heat-seal it.
      Because there are very many punctures, is there the method that, besides, is good?

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Hi @hiroshi – well done! It looks good, but still a bit soft.

Another method of finding leaks is to put some air into the packraft and submerge it in a bathtub or lake and then squeeze it – air bubbles will escape anywhere there is a leak.

If you are experiencing lots of leaks from incompletely sealed seams (not punctures), it might be a good idea to go over the seams again with your iron to make sure they are fully sealed. You can insert some folded paper or cardboard through the Boston valve and position it under the seam you are working on so the heat doesn’t transfer through to the fabric on the other side of the tube.

Sometimes pressing with the sharp edge of your iron along the seam (instead of the flat part) works well because it only heats a narrow strip of TPU, so you can reseal the area without risk of the seam completely separating (as it might if the entire width of the seam is reheated).

If after going over the seams you still have a few leaks, then try listening for air or try using soap and water.

You may need to apply Seam Grip or Aquaseal in some areas if it’s too late to access them with the iron. Adhesives are best applied to the inside of the packraft, but if you can’t access the area through the valve (or an airtight zipper), then you can apply them to the outside.

hiroshi
      Participant

I heated up again.
      I was able to tear it off.
      Thank you.

hiroshi
      Participant

I should be able to tear it off, but do not seem to be able to tear it off.

Because there is no help for it, are even these measures good?

Or how is such measures?

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

The seam fabric will not form a strong bond with the non-TPU side of the floor fabric, so I recommend heating the area with your iron again so you can pull it apart there.

hiroshi
      Participant

I have begun to make it.
      I have finished doing Step1.
      However, in defiance of explanation, I have heat-sealed 1.5cm – 2cm of both ends.
      I cannot tear it off.
      What should I do?

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Hi @hiroshi, that is a common mistake – if you heat the fabric with your iron again, I think you will be able to separate the fabric.

hiroshi
      Participant

I arrive for such a feeling.

“diy packraft kit” (The contents of the kit)

Cloth and the air infusion valve that the bottom was cut to a paper pattern. (I make the main body with this.)
      The cloth that the top is blue and black cloth.
      The surplus cloth that the blue cloth was cut.
      The cloth that the black cloth forms a seam of 2cm.
      I did not think that there was blue cloth (cut surplus cloth). With blue cloth, I can give a test of heat-sealing it.

diy packraft kit

cut to a paper pattern. (I make the main body with this.)

The surplus cloth that the blue cloth was cut.
      The cloth that the black cloth forms a seam of 2cm.

up cloth

Well, I make it.

hiroshi
      Participant

I ordered it on February 1, and a product arrived on February 13. I make it at once.
      By the way, it is a question, what should I do to attach a photograph to the topic of this forum?

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Great – I’m glad the package arrived in Japan without a long delay.

I have now enabled the ability to upload images in forum posts (click the mountain icon above the text box when typing a forum topic or reply).

Thanks

hiroshi
      Participant

I think that my question was not clearly understood by topic and reply, so I will ask again.
      1. Japan’s voltage is 100 V, can I use “clover mini iron Ⅱ – the adaptor”?
      2. How long will it take delivery to Japan?

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Hi Hiroshi, thanks for your order! It should take approximately ten business days to arrive. You will be the first in Japan 🙂

My Clover Mini Iron II is made for North America’s 120 V, 60 Hz power supply. Clover has a Japanese website, where you may be able to find more information, or at least contact information for someone who can answer your question better than I can. Here is the website: http://www.clover.co.jp/

If you have already purchased a North American style iron, you will probably be able to find an adapter to convert your local power supply to 120 V, either online or at your local electronics store.

Thanks again!

hiroshi
      Participant

Blue Colour. (floor and seams is black)
      Large size.
      single layer floor.
      I ordered.How long will it reach Japan?
      This will mark Japan for the first time in the map.
      By the way, I plan to purchase “clover mini iron Ⅱ – the adapter” from amazon.com,
      Japan is V100 but can it be used?

hiroshi
      Participant

It is a question about color.
      For example, if you choose blue, is the floor and tape blue?
      Or is the floor or tape black?

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Hi @hiroshi, the floor and seams can be either black or the same colour as the tubes – it is your choice. The product page tells you how to indicate which style you prefer.

I recommend a Large packraft for your stature.

The kit does not include a printed manual, as all of the instructions are on the How-To web pages, including pictures and videos. I answer questions quickly, and whenever someone asks a question that is not already answered on the website, I update the site so everyone else can find the answer as well.

Cheers!

hiroshi
      Participant

Thank you for an immediate answer.
      By the way, I am 180cm tall, 100 kg in weight, does the size have good S, M, which of L?

Then will DIY PACKRAFT KIT have the manual?

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Hi @Hiroshi,

Thanks for your interest in a DIY Packraft. The side tube diameter is 27.5 cm (11″) and the safe load capacity is over 150 kg (300 lbs) – the actual volume is over 300 litres (i.e. over 300 kg buoyancy).

Whitewater packrafting is possible with the single layer floor, but I recommend the double layer floor for added durability if you plan to paddle in whitewater frequently.

Cheers!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.