Home Forums DIY Packrafts WRONG SIDE TPU 1-2L JOINT

• Creator
    Topic
    matteo
    Participant

I would like advise on how my mistake. I manage to seal on the wrong side of the tpu the 1-2L piece on the floor. It ended up being with non sealable tpu on the outside, so I cut the 1L piece as close as I could and than seal another piece on the end to match the original size/shape. So it ends up at the start of the joint with the floor it’s on the wrong side and it won’t seal on the reinforcement strip between 1-2L for the first 3-4 cm. I managed to seal the rest with a piece with a double sided TPU bigger than reinforcement joint on the floor but I can’t figure out how to fix the start joint on 1-2L. I think the piece is way too big to fix with aquaseal so maybe my only choice is to sew a patch on top of it  and than fix the leakings with aquaseal. Not really sure if that would be strong enough or not, and if it’s gonna work either.

Any advice? 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      matteo
      Participant

This is the point where I have the problem. The blue rectangle is firmly attach to the floor, but the red rectangle is where there is not TPU either side because I patch a piece of fabric on top of it (because I cut the first 4cm as they were on the wrong side). The red area is where I can’t stick anything, and the problem is where there is joint 1-2L. The same red rectangle is highlighted on the floor plan in light blue.

matteo
      Participant

The 3 sides where I circle in black are on the wrong side of the tpu, so nothing will stick on them. The red circle is the only side where I can stick the patch into the tube piece. That’s because I seal the piece 1L on the wrong side from the beginning (including the internal reinforcement strip). The green line means there is no TPU on either sides because I had to seal a patch on the end of the piece 1L (on the 45 degrees end) to be able to get the original shape/size. 

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

I’m still not sure what each piece is, but maybe it doesn’t matter. Can you make two patches, one for the inside and one for the outside? They could be sealed each other in the middle and to the pieces in the picture around the edges wherever TPU contacts TPU. In the spots where there is no TPU on either side you could sew it together and then use Aquaseal (that is the conventional way of fixing packrafts and it works fine).

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Hi Matteo, together we will find a way! Can you post some more pictures or draw a diagram to explain the problem? It is difficult to visualize and I’m not sure I understand what must be fixed. Thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.