Home Forums DIY Packrafts Deciding between Telkwa, Skeena, and Ultralight

• Creator
    Topic
    Barbara
    Participant

I can’t believe that I only found this website a week ago.   Been reading virtually everything on it since then and feel like I have found my future adventure vessel :-).  I currently paddle an inflatable Aquaglide Chelan HB as I live in a condo and don’t have storage for a hard shell kayak.  My main objectives are mountain lakes (live in Calgary), so been exploring all the drive-up lakes as my current set-up is over 30 pounds with kayak, paddle, PFD, pump, throw rope, etc.  My next mission is to paddle hike-in alpine lakes – primarily ones that are maybe up to 10km from trailheads.  So, basically all flatwater, with possible the odd gentle river thrown in (no interest in whitewater, though I’m fascinated by those with that level of skill).  Thus far I thought the likes of the Kokopellis and Alpackas are the only options out there, but the prices just seem so high, especially with shipping and exchange rates thrown in.  But this DIY Packraft is a game changer :-).  I ordered the fabric swatches last weekend and already received them.  Still can’t decide between the three kits, so would appreciate input from those of you who’ve actually paddled packrafts.

Initially I thought of going with the Telkwa as I like the idea of the wrap-around 450D floor for extra piece of mind.  I chose my current inflatable kayak because it offers three chambers.  The thought of a puncture on a glacial-fed lake is something I really do not want to ever encounter.  Seeing the sample swatch for the ultralight kit I am certainly intrigued, especially due to its light weight and really just planning on using it leisurely (vs. for expeditions).  I managed to puncture the ripstop nylon right away with a pen, but like how the 210D+ materials are seriously strong.  So, now I’m more open to thr Skeena as well, but probably all three are contenders (and would be good projects to work on in winter).

Some questions:

• What are your measured weights for each of the ultralight, Telkwa, and Skeena?
    • Have any photos to share of full set-ups (including seats, paddles, PFDs) in their packed state so I can see how much space they’d take up in a hiking daypack?
    • How do these track on flatwater?  Do you spin around easily?  Do they track straighter the longer the packraft is?  Has anyone tried attaching a fin?  Depending on location, I can see myself paddle up to 10km on lakes.
    • Anyone have photos of how you store things inside the raft, i.e., inside the zipper?  What are the best locations for balance?  Has anyone tried attaching dry bags or compression sacks inside for additional air chambers?
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Thanks for your interest in a DIY Packraft kit 🙂

For your intended use, an Ultralight would suffice, but for more peace of mind the Skeena would be better (I think a Telkwa would just be extra weight and bulk).

I used the shortest (120 cm) Skeena on my recent 30-day trip and it was more than tough enough for use in the lakes, class 1-2 rivers, and barnacle-lined fjords I paddled. It never leaked in spite of scraping down shallow rivers and bushwhacking for dozens of kilometres through thick forests with the packraft unprotected on top of my pack. Tracking was not a problem and I was able to paddle more than 30 km (20 miles) in a day (not downstream) averaging between 4 and 5 km/h (2.5 to 3 mph). I do not have a zipper in that packraft – personally, I don’t need one, but they do make the final construction steps easier.

On that trip I ventured up to about 800 m (1/2 mile) away from land, and aside from the seat, back rest, and my PFD, I didn’t have any additional air chambers. I did wear a drysuit for one ocean section I was worried about, but it wasn’t really necessary. So often we choose gear based on our fears, and my recommendation would be to resist that impulse.

I wrote a post covering some of these topics a while ago: https://www.diypackraft.com/faq/choosing-a-packraft-not-just-diy/

Cheers 🙂

Barbara
      Participant

Wow, thank you for taking the time to respond with all that detailed information!  I think I just spent over an hour on your website and Insta :-).  I think this basically confirms my first inclination to go with the Telkwa and looks like you went with the medium (51” length).  I measured myself sitting against the wall, 42” + 1” for shoes + 2-4” for the seat back, so the 51” should also be good for me, but I’m still thinking 55” to have a bit more room to store my backpack.  What was your rationale going for 51”, especially as you do bigger trips?  Why not 55”?  The main reason I’m asking is still for the tracking.  You mention it tracks excellent with a light load – do you consider a day pack a light load, or a bike and then some? :-).  What is the total length for the 51” Telkwa?

Your drip deck from the inflation bag looks great, as does the Feather Pump, but then I asked myself what one would use as a backup, but you answered that as well.  The TiZip’s a definite for me; seems that anyone who chose not to have it is regretting it.

I have the MEC Fulcrum Guide PFD, so would most likely stick with that for the early days.

Great Insta as well and nice to see the packraft in our local places (grew up in Canmore, in Calgary now, but planning on moving back to Canmore).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Barbara.
      AbMtnGuy
      Participant

Hi Barbara. Some great questions.  I built a couple of 130 cm Telkwa’s this Spring and paddled flatwater slightly less than 30 days so far .  The decision to go with the Telkwa was based on a few paddles in three different lighter and shorter packrafts from other suppliers.  The Telkwa design is appealing both due to the durability of extending the floor materials up the tube walls and the excellent superb hull design.

Tracking is excellent when lightly loaded and exceptional when loaded with a bikepacking rig suitable for multi-week expeditions.  Full pack list and pictures.

Both builds were very similar except for colour and weigh just under 2.6 kg with the modifications listed at this PLOG link.  I plan on adding a few more upgrade ideas in the future.  The DripDeck has been a gamechanger for staying dry and warm without having to carry specialized paddling gear when “only” doing alpine flatwater and some Class 1. Will be building 2 more the same for other family members.  All have Ti Zips which are highly recommended for both ease of construction and operation.  Three of the four have the light weight floor material.

Initially considered adding an inflatable keel and purchased the materials for it from Matt.  Have not had any reason to build it! 🙂

Yes to the additional air chambers.  Now part of my standard packing practice.

PFD’s are a highly personal choice.  For flatwater am happy with the listed Mustang hybrid.  Have a fully inflatable model also but prefer the assurance of foam flotation.  For whitewater wear a very well used Salus.

You’ll also find some “in the wild” pictures on Insta @abmtnguy.  Message me there if you need further information.

Matt’s assembly videos are very well done and when followed closely will give you an excellent result!

Cheers … Guy

Uncle Fred
      Participant

If you’re planning on hiking with the packraft, consider the Anfibio Buoy Boy PFD. I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and find it great for backpacking. If you aren’t headed out on class III or above rapids, it should do you just fine.

If you’re from the US or Canada, use the Swedish retailer linked. The German retailer refuses to ship to North America for Insurance reasons.

I’m currently in the process of modifying mine to add additional bomb proofing and features common in professional PFDs suitable for whitewater use. Should be interesting.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.