Home Forums DIY Packrafts Drysuits for Packrafting

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Barbara
    Participant

Which drysuits are people finding most comfortable/appropriate for packrafting?  I plan on paddling my Skeena primarily in Rockies alpine lakes, with maybe the odd class 1 once a season.  It looks like Alpacka had a drysuit more geared towards packrafting some years ago, but not anymore.  Ideally I’d like one with the following features:

– Semi-dry suit with neoprene collar (I get seriously claustrophobic with things around my neck, and those latex collars just don’t seem to work for me).

– On the lighter end.  This may allow shorter timeframes for full immersion, but as noted, plan on using it on flatwater where water temperature is low.

– Drop seat for bathroom breaks.
    – Front closure?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      eswets
      Participant
      Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Mountain Equipment Co-op has several paddling jackets/pants combinations, as well as one-piece drysuits to choose from – that’s probably your best bet in Canada (though I haven’t used any of them). One has a spandex collar, which sounds intriguing.

I took a gamble on a no-name drysuit I found on Amazon a few years ago for a ridiculously cheap price and it works well enough for me. It’s not available anymore though, and it doesn’t have the features you’re looking for.

ejensen
      Participant

Not sure about designs explicitly for packrafting. I have a kayak touring setup already. I have a Stohlquist EZ drysuit with a neoprene neck gasket and front zip. It works well for me and I don’t get leakage when inverted, but the neoprene neck does not fit as wide a range of neck sizes as a latex one. A friend using one had problems getting the neck closed up enough for a half-decent seal.

Would be worth looking for a women’s design suit and trying some on. I don’t know of any suits that tick all the boxes you have though- there are very few with neoprene neck gaskets.

I also have a Level Six drysuit with latex gaskets- very nice suit but zip over the shoulders so I struggle with it when alone so mostly use it when paddling with others. The latex neck doesn’t really bother me too much as I have trimmed it so it is snug but mostly forget about it while paddling.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.