Home Forums DIY Packrafts DIY Accessories Reply To: DIY Accessories

Uncle Fred
Participant

New project to show off.

A lot of hardshell boats offer sturdy foot rests to brace your feet against. This is something I miss from packrafts.

Matt was kind enough to send some extra 250GSM fabric in my latest order. After some trial and error, I came up with a relatively simple footrest design.

This drybag is designed to be wedged into the bow foot space of your boat.

The original plan was to make this an inflated dry bag to rest your feet on.

(Above) The larger, initial design. Someone asked me if I was making a pursue!

After making this, I quickly discovered that an inflation bag is a terrible idea. It was the equivalent of pressing your feet against a balloon. It provided zero support for your feet. It was also too big, as Matt suggested in an email.

I cut it down significantly:

The drybag aspect remains as putting items inside it what gives it structure. This design is large enough to comfortably fit a Dan Durston X-Mid 1 tent and a Thermarest XTherm Max Wide (25″ wide) sleeping air mattress.

The webbing straps are 3/4″ polypropylene. Avoid Nylon for all boat stuff as it absorbs water. These straps are sewed in by hand on each side of the opening using UHMWPE thread. Some may know this material as Spectra or Dyneema. It is far tougher than nylon thread. You can pick this up as 65Ib UHMWPE fishing line on Amazon.

The valve allows for the air to be pushed out of the bag. With the air removed, the bag offers a really firm surface for your feet.

The foot rest friction fits very snugly into the leg area of the Telkwa.

The roll top allows for size adjustment. Roll it more and fill it less for more legroom.

Lastly, don’t forget to brush Seam Grip over any fabric edges or fraying will occur.

Something interesting I’ve learned from this project is that an airtight drybag is entirely possible. For example, a 22″ opening reinforced with 3/4″ webbing can be made airtight with twelve fabric folds. No additional hardware is required. However, I tested it with seven folds and it will loosen at high pressures and deflate.