Home Forums DIY Packrafts 2 Chamber modification

• Creator
    Topic
    David Talbot
    Participant

I have a background in driving RIBs and SIBs, in one of those bursting a tube, even a catastrophic failure, will certainly end your fun for the day but isn’t really going to cause too much of a problem and certainly won’t sink you as for example my Bombard Aerotec has 3 main air chambers.

Which set me thinking about making my Telkwa 2 chambers, sure it won’t work as a raft if a chamber fails but at least it would give a pretty good chance of raft and anything strapped to it of staying afloat for a pretty small weight penalty. Possibly just a couple of circles of fabric and an extra boston valve and job done! Well that is if with a combination of heat and glue it would be possible to create an airtight seal between tpu and the no tpu side of the fabric, thoughts anyone, feel free to tell me this is a daft idea.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      unnamedpeaks
      Participant

David, how did your dual chamber build go?

gustav.kraft
      Participant

If you have a cargofly you could simply use one or more beach balls and put it inside before inflating it. It will keep it afloat and you have something to play with when waiting for rescue 🙂

David Talbot
      Participant

Looks like the HH-66 is easy to get hold of this side of the Atlantic, one more question what is the diameter of the inflated Telkwa at the seam closest to the middle of the long side?

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Hi David, the diameter is 275 mm. Cheers!

David Talbot
          Participant

Thanks Matt, customs charge paid today so should have my kit Tues or Wed.

David Talbot
      Participant

Thanks, will give it a go

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Hi David,

I think it’s worth trying – it’s one of those things I’ve been meaning to try for ages but haven’t got around to, myself. What I’m not sure about is the longevity of a glued joint on the inside of the tube fabric, and what’s the best adhesive to use. Some people have reported that a glue called HH-66 works well, but I can’t find it where I live.

If you give this a try, please let us know how it goes!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.