Home Forums DIY Packrafts A durable paint that works on the TPU coating?

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    erictweigle
    Participant

Hello, I just finished putting together my V3 kit that I got for my birthday a couple years ago and I’d like to stencil a name on the side of the raft. Does anyone know of a good type of paint that will have good adhesion to the TPU?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Congratulations on finishing your kit!

I think you’ll have difficulty finding a paint that adheres to the TPU and is flexible enough that it won’t flake off. Even flexible polyurethane paint can’t handle the folding (I’ve tried it).

The Seam Grip plus pigment idea @legslegum mentioned will probably work.

A permanent marker could also work.

You could cut out the name from scrap fabric and iron it on like I did here: https://www.diypackraft.com/2019/10/08/a-diy-packraft-logo/ These iron-on (fabric) logos have held up very well, but cutting out all the little bits was a pain.

I also ordered some iron-on logos from an online sticker-making website and they worked okay, but it’s easy to mess them up while ironing (stretching, wrinkling) and if you don’t do it right they will peel off.

I got some “permanent outdoor” vinyl stickers made as well, but I haven’t abused them enough to know whether or not they’ll last.

Cheers!

legslegum
      Participant

Haven’t tried it yet, but I’ve read that you can mix ceramic pigment with seamgrip. Would certainly be durable! Comes in a powder, available from your local ceramic/pottery supply store.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.