Home Forums DIY Packrafts Attachment Points Strength

• Creator
    Topic
    zachschiada
    Participant

Full ViewBow Attachment PointI’m still in need of adding seam grip to fix a leak that I have, but while I’m waiting for the seam grip to arrive, I went ahead and added attachment points for outfitting with the d rings and my back rest, seat and thigh straps. My question is that the attachment points don’t seem like they would hold up as well as I’d like. I’m especially worried about my set up for the single d ring that I installed at the bow end of the raft. Sitting in it feels just like my whitewater kayak, which I like a lot, but does this single d ring seem capable of holding up over time given the pull from my thighs and the bow rocker? I’m hoping so, since it feels right, but I’m wondering if I need to add additional d rings to the bow to avoid too much stress on a single point.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by zachschiada.
    • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by zachschiada.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

In my tests, the D-rings themselves break at about 45 kg or 99 pounds load (on average), and the attachment point itself should be stronger than that, but over time things could wear. If I were you, I’d probably use it as-is but keep an eye on it and if it looks like distributing the load over one or two more points would help, then it looks like you have room for some Type-2 attachment points in front and beside that one.

zachschiada
        Participant

Thanks Matt. I’ll keep an eye on it and report back.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.