Home Forums DIY Packrafts bikerafting advice

• Creator
    Topic
    matteo
    Participant

I’m new to this forum and I would like to make my own packraft to be able to carry my loaded touring bike on it and reach areas otherwise unreachable on two wheels. Did anyone of you here ever make it? My bike plus gear should weight around 25-30 kg + me it should be able to carry roughly 100kg. Another problem is how to carry the bike on top of it as it seems there is no way to add a cargo fly on it. I was thinking to make the largest v3 available so the 140cm cockpit length to have the space needed to accommodate it. I plan to use it in Fiordland, New Zealand as my first trip but probably anywhere in the world in the future. Any advice or experience about it will be very welcome as there are no many info online.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Hi Matteo – welcome to the forum!

All of the DIY Packrafts are capable of carrying over 100 kg. I probably wouldn’t use an Ultralight packraft for bikerafting though, as the ultralight fabric is more fragile, but you could do so if you were more careful.

Each DIY Packraft kit comes will scrap fabric to make attachment points and grab loops, and you can place them wherever suits your needs. To figure out where to locate them, I would first build the packraft and then balance the bike on top, with the wheels and everything placed as they would be during paddling, and then mark the locations where tie-downs would be best located to attach directly to the bike’s frame.

You may also want to add an airtight zipper to your packraft so you can store gear inside the tubes, as you will not be able to store as much gear on top of the bow if your bike is there. You will certainly have more room if you choose a larger packraft.

Cheers!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.