Home Forums DIY Packrafts bowl for curved surface

• Creator
    Topic
    sldrose
    Participant

Hi all,

I have either a plastic or stainless steel bowl for me to work the curved surfaces.

I’m guessing that the plastic will melt, but will the stainless get too hot?

will covering it in baking paper suffice?

alternatives?

thanks

sean

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      heatshear
      Participant

I just finished my second packraft today. The pointy bow and stern curves are tough. For those, I used a small stainless steel bowl (with wrong-way masking tape) no problem. But approaching the vertex of the curve, I needed a form with a tighter radius. I used a smooth round rock a little bigger than a golf ball. That worked perfectly – no wrinkles, no cursing.

mort1414
      Participant

What size bowl did people find best?

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

I recommend using something with a radius slightly smaller than the tube you’re working on.

sldrose
      Participant

thanks Matt,

do you have any links or instructions on how to construct these forms?

(i had a quick look but couldnt find anything

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Hi Sean, I’ve posted pictures and a description of the form in Step 4.2 of the V3 instructions. Cheers!

David Talbot
          Participant

Could we have these in the Telkwa instructions as well please Matt?

Matt (Admin)
            Keymaster

Done!

David Talbot
              Participant

Thanks, will get making that!

loriduggan
                Participant

Any way to get the instructions for the form posted to the UL thread as well. Can’t get in to the other places you posted them to as they are password protected. Thank you

Matt (Admin)
                  Keymaster

Step 4 in the Ultralight instructions has as much information about the form as is posted elsewhere… there aren’t really “instructions” – just pictures and diagrams and a description.

For anyone who hasn’t purchased a kit, there are also pictures and a description on the Heat Sealing page (under the How-To menu).

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Hi Sean,

The stainless bowl should work – you might try wrapping some masking tape around it the “wrong way,” with the adhesive side facing out. The tape will hold the fabric in place as you work. That’s what I do on the wooden form I use, and it works well. If you have a jig saw or a band saw, you could make a wooden form yourself.

Cheers,

Matt

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.