Home Forums DIY Packrafts DIY inflatable mattress

• Creator
    Topic
    gregkn
    Participant

Hi,

I would like to make an inflatable mattress with baffles. Desired dimensions when inflated, 150*40*15cm

Are the  dimensions of the photo correct, to achieve the desired dimensions when inflated ?

Thanks for any help in advance

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Alpo
      Participant

15 years ago in Lapland (it’s a catamaran with rigid narrow skeleton):
      Terbmisjavri 2006

I think catamaran is a good idea and especially if you can make it work with an inflatable frame. One thing to consider: the two bow waves of the hulls can merge to a higher one between the frames and add drag plus get you wet. It can help to toe in the hulls a bit, so that bows are closer to each other than the sterns. Maybe an adjustable test frame first (two by fours + straps or anything) to find out a good hull placement and then cutting the ‘captain’s bridge’?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Alpo.
      gregkn
      Participant

Exactly Alpo. Better speed and tracking is my target, and hoping to achieve that, without using any rigid parts. http://www.cubenmaker.com/?2

& Kayacat gave a lot of ideas but with rigid skeleton, which I would like to avoid. But first I have to weld the pontoons 🙂

Alpo
      Participant

I might have exaggerated the edge shape. you can see the effect in real life in some Thermarest Neoair photos. In your use, the large side pontoons will be more rigid than the mattress and will force the edge to be straight. So I don’t think you need to make changes to the original plan. More baffles and curved edge would just mean more work (and less thickness unless you change the internal baffle walls too).
      Project sounds interesting! I live in Finland which means mostly flatwater so better speed and tracking are what I’m after.

gregkn
      Participant

gregkn
      Participant

gregkn
      Participant

gregkn
      Participant

Hi Alpo,

Thanks for the answer. It is not at all late. It is a winter project, moving very slowly. The main use of the inflatable mattress, won’t be as a mattress 😉. It will join two inflatable pontoons of a small inflatable catamaran, I intend to make. Just cut the tpu nylon for the pontoons. I want to make something similar and use it similarly, as the inflatable seat of the anfibio omega c2 , from I got the idea. As you can see at the photos , there is not any baffles bulging. Is it, because the sides didn’t cut straight, as in my photo? To avoid any baffle bulging should I cut the sides as the , down dotted side at my new drawing, you can see below? To avoid ballooning as much as possible and be closer at the desired width of 40-45cm, I also increased baffles number and reduced width, as you can see.

Thanks, once more for your thoughts

Alpo
      Participant

Howdy,

This is a bit late but yes, I think your measures are good, just note that:
      – The width will vary a bit due to baffles bulging. It will be quite a narrow mattress but you know if that’s ok for you.
      – end ‘chambers’ will be a bit smaller than the rest if you don’t give them 5cm extra fabric due to the missing baffle fabric

mattress

gregkn
      Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.