Home Forums DIY Packrafts DIY Packraft/Life raft self-inflatable

• Creator
    Topic
    ey63210
    Participant

Hello Packrafts Builders.

I have started a DIY project related to Packrafts. I’m building a life raft/rescue raft. Similar to the ones used in aviation. But I want it more packable and maybe more focused on sustaining 1-2 person. So a hybrid Packraft/life raft.

(I’m right now figuring out the best self-inflating mechanism. There is the popular CO2 canister and a painter(string you pull to release the CO2) but there is also a new science revolving a mix of chemicals that creates CO2 when released/mixed..)

Build:

I think a round shape would be most efficient?

Maybe I could use 210d nylon and put pockets on the inside to place the self-inflation in. Then make the valve tight with a string you pull to release the chem.. maybe add something like a tizip so you can refill the CO2 pockets and re-attach the string from the inside after use..

Do anyone have ideas, comments, knowledge to share?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by ey63210.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Uncle Fred
      Participant

Designing and making a boat is a time-intensive process. You’d probably have to go through several build iterations to get something good enough to trust in a rescue situation. There may also be expensive certifications required by law where you live. If there was an accident and someone died while using your inflatable, you’d potentially be at fault.

This is not a good idea. Better to just use what’s already on the market. DIY tinkering when your life is on the line is just a bad idea all around.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Uncle Fred.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.