Home Forums DIY Packrafts Entry Assist Handles?

• Creator
    Topic
    krstahl
    Participant

Has anyone installed a small (6″) or so grab handle for re-entry assistance?I’ve just about completed my first V3 kit.  I’m in the process of installing tie-downs.  As I’ve worked I’ve wondered about installing a small “handle” on each of the inner (tub) portion of tube #3L & #3R shown in red below.  I’ve only ever had to re-enter an inflatable kayak twice so don’t have much experience with re-entry (yes, I know I need to practice).suggested grab handle position

• This topic was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by krstahl. Reason: addition
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Bruce
      Participant

My daughter, age 10, finds it easy to re-enter her packraft by reaching across it and grabbing a webbing strap I install around the perimeter of the raft. It is just a 1/2″ piece of nylon webbing run through tie-down attachment points.

Having webbing around the bow, and another around the stern is sufficient too. I run it from 2R to 1R to 1L to 2L. and another strap from 4R to 5R to 5L to 4L. Having a thigh strap completes the grab point options. And I find the thigh strap the most likely point to grab onto if thrashed and blown out of the raft in a substantial hole or hydraulic.

To save weight, a strip of 1000D fabric is even better than the webbing. It is plenty strong (420 is probably fine too, but I haven’t tried it yet) light, and doesn’t pick up water.

I have heard plenty of stories of rafters who got tossed, only to have their feather light raft blow away faster than they can swim! So having something to grab onto as one falls out can save a long swim!

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

I haven’t tried this but I find it relatively easy to re-enter a packraft by draping my arms over the side, placing my hands flat on the floor, and then boosting myself up with one big dolphin kick while I push down with my hands – then I sort of flop into the packraft.

Because the air pressure in a packraft is low compared to an inflatable kayak, the side tubes might be a bit too flimsy to be a good pulling point for a handle, but I’m not sure – if you give it a try, please let us know how it goes!

krstahl
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback.  Before I add handles I think I’ll practice a bit in the pool (all the rivers are frozen right now).  I have long arms and I intend on having a blue camp mattress strapped to the floor.  I can prob grab the opposite edge of that if needed.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.