Home Forums DIY Packrafts Kit choice for bikerafting?

• Creator
    Topic
    Ben
    Participant

Planning to buy a kit and build this Spring.

Just wondering if anyone here has used one of these kits to successfully bikeraft.

I’m inclined to go with the Voyageur 2, to make sure that I can fit the bike, and be more likely to accommodate full bikerafting camping trips.

I’d just be interested in pictures if anybody had photos of a bike on the Voyageur 2 and/or V3.

Or thoughts or opinions.

I’ll plan to post photos of build and setup as I progress.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Frenchie-Bikeraft
      Participant

Hi, I have a project identical to Ben.
      What are the disadvantages of using a “DIY Packraft Kit: 2-Person” alone with bike and  camping load?bikerafting

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

The 2-person is a bit bigger and heavier when packed, so the disadvantage is it would be somewhat more difficult to carry on the bike. It may also be a bit slower on the water due to its larger size being powered by only one person. Cheers!

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Hi Ben, I’ve used my V3 for bikerafting with my 29″ full suspension bike and it worked well, even in mild rapids. For camping, I’d definitely add a zipper to the boat so you can store gear in the tubes, as the bike takes up pretty much all of the forward deck storage space. I can still fit a day-pack in the cockpit (sort of between my legs), but anything more than that I’d store inside the tubes.

I think a Voyageur would be a bit overkill for one person bikerafting, unless you’re going on very long trips or tackling bigger rapids.

Here are a few pictures:

Frenchie-Bikeraft
        Participant

Hi, I have a project identical to Ben.
        What are the disadvantages of using a “DIY Packraft Kit: 2-Person” alone with bike and camping load?

Matt (Admin)
          Keymaster

The 2-person is a bit bigger and heavier when packed, so the disadvantage is it would be somewhat more difficult to carry on the bike. It may also be a bit slower on the water due to its larger size being powered by only one person. Cheers!

Frenchie-Bikeraft
            Participant

Thank you very much for your answer Matt.
            And congratulations for all your work!
            I think buy probably 2 kits on your site but before I need to understand the basics of assembly and define the best model for my use.
            I understand that the model 2 places would be heavier and more bulky to carry, for cons I could see on other forums a longer model gives more speed !? (surely provided that it is sufficiently rigid)

In fact, I would like an inner length between 170 and 180 cm.
            Do you have new projects that could match?
            Or can I shorten The 2-Person by 30 or 40 cm to make it more suitable for a single paddler (more rigid too)?
            Or can I extend a Telkwa of 20 or 30 cm? (that would be great !)

(sorry for my english translated by google translate …)

Matt (Admin)
              Keymaster

The 2-person model may be faster, but only when powered by two people. It is much wider than the single-person packrafts, with larger diameter tubes, so it is a very different boat.

The Telkwa’s length cannot be extended. The 2-person packraft could be shortened by removing 20-30 cm of material from the middle of the side tubes and floor, but this would add a significant amount of work to the project.

From your photo, it appears that you like to carry a lot of gear on your bike, so maybe the 2-person option is better for you, but I’m not sure. I don’t have plans to offer an in-between size packraft anytime soon.

Cheers!

Frenchie-Bikeraft
                Participant

Thank you for the clarification.
                Indeed, I would like a packraft that can accept a lot of material and I put this picture found on the Internet to illustrate my needs.

Ben
        Participant

Very helpful, thank you!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.