Home Forums DIY Packrafts New seat design

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Josh
    Participant

Matt,
    I saw that you have a new seat kit posted in the shop. Any chance you could post a picture of what the new finished seat looks like compared with the old one? I’m trying to decide which to make now.
    Thanks

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Lyn St George
      Participant

Just received some of these new red inflation and deflation valves, and I’m curious as to how well the deflation valves hold. I originally got these for dump valves on the reserve air bags in the tubes, but am thinking now of adding them to the main seats in the rafts and my new sleeping mat (rather than just holding the inflation valve open). On the shop page it says they hold your weight standing on the test bag, but I’m wondering what happens if you give it a bit of abuse. If you “fall” or sit heavily, do they stay closed? I have an Exped deflation valve here, and it seems much harder to push the red one open with my finger than the Exped one, so I’m guessing that they probably will stand abuse.

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Hi Lyn,

The manufacturer doesn’t indicate a pressure rating so I can’t guarantee anything, but I’ve tested them up to about 5 psi (350 hPa) myself and they showed no signs of stress.

For reference, a 170 lb (77 kg) weight distributed over an area of 12 x 18″ (30 x 45 cm) on an inflatable seat exerts about 0.8 psi (55 hPa) – quite a large safety factor.

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Hi Josh,

Sure, I’ll try to get that done today. You can see a couple pictures of it in a packraft here, but I’ll take some pictures of just the seat as well.

Cheers,

Matt

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.