Home Forums DIY Packrafts Scandinavian/nordic builders

• Creator
    Topic
    Ivar Nelson
    Participant

Hi

I am living in southern Sweden, in the city of Karlskrona, and would like to get in touch with diy packrafters in my part of the world. To hear what materials you have sourced and if they were any good. What kind of irons have you been using? I saw tomis clever post about the dimmer to regulate a cheap soldering iron.
    Perhaps you have made or are planning some packrafting trip and would like to share the itinerary.

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      keopgaard
      Participant

At last..

mikkel
      Participant

Hi you guys.

Live in denmark, copenhagen.  Used Matts kitt’s. And the fabrics are great. Great quality and easy bonding (at the right tp)

But i have had problems with the heat sealing. But that is due to the soldering iron..

First used the Clover, but it does lack power, with some of the alterations and improvements alread described in the forum, it works but slow.. recently bought the Jamara Jamara172104 220 V Pro Star Heat Sealing Iron, which until now works great, but is a bit big. Also modified a straight hair iron.. which actually works quite nicely..

keopgaard
      Participant

Hi guys, living in the northen part of Norway. Placed order with Matt couple of days ago and waiting to start with the packraft in near future. Stefan..did you got the fabric from textilextreme, how was it to bond??

Stefan Höök
        Participant

Would not say that the textile was the easiest fabric to work with, but doable. I recommend other fabric supplier if you have another choice of supplier. Have not tested Matt’s fabric so cant say much about it more than what others have written/said.

Stefan Höök
      Participant

Hi Ivar, I’m currently preparing for my first diy build. Ment to be a ceompletion to hicking. So far I have only read up on fabrics and coating, also made my iron from a soldering iron with a diy iron like foot. I have ordered some fabrics from extremtextil.de and so far I can’t say much since I hav’nt got it yet, but should arrive next week. I’m abit concerned after reading up on this forum about their fabrics being hard to heat seal.

So far I’ve only got these conclusions:
      Fabric Nylon 66 has a melting point at 264 degrees C
      Fabric Nylon 6 has a melting point at 218 degrees C

TPU has a melting point between 130-150 degrees C.

Here is my soldering iron, 60 watt. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.