Home Forums DIY Packrafts Seam Strip Too Short

• Creator
    Topic
    xraymtb
    Participant

About to do the rear centre seam and my seam strips don’t seem long enough (not the ones with the kit – I’m using a different colour fabric sourced elsewhere). Wondering if I could use two with them butted up to each other and a backing piece of fabric on the inside over the Seamgrip to help support? Or would this be a weak point likely to fail.

I could use the strips with the kit but the rest are all orange and the kit one is blue!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      xraymtb
      Participant

Thanks Matt. I’m using a 210D nylon with TPU coating similar (if not the same) as the original fabric. I got the kit from someone here in the UK that didn’t get around to building but wanted to add the orange seam strips for a different look. I’ve got the original blue strips – wish I’d used them now!!

The test seams have all been very strong and look good when pulled apart so I’m comfortable with the welds.

Is there a better place for the join on that seam? Somewhere with the least stress? I imagine maybe somewhere on the long top curve?

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

The least stress will be near the tip of the stern, so you could try there. Wherever is convenient should be fine though.

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

I don’t know what fabric you’re using, but assuming you’ve tested the welds and you’re satisfied they’re strong, then if you’re careful to avoid leaving any gap where the two pieces meet then it should work out fine. You can’t heat seal a fabric patch over Seam Grip though (or to the inside of the tube fabric, for that matter); instead, I would use Aquaseal to cover the area, both inside and out (Aquaseal is more viscous than Seam Grip so it’s better for patching tiny leaks).

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.