Home Forums DIY Packrafts UL T-Zip placement

• Creator
    Topic
    Samsquanch
    Participant

Currently building an UL and really enjoying it. The 115 GSM TPU is much easier for me to work with compared with the 250 GSM used with the Skeena. The thinner, more translucent material allows me to visually gauge the weld and so provides more confidence in the overall quality of the build. It’s also faster to assemble as the heat from the iron transfers faster to the TPU. I’m not expecting the UL to be anywhere near as durable, but the reduced weight/bulk is going to be a game changer.

Anyway, I’m installing a T-Zip for the first time and had a couple of questions. The installation videos describe placement for V2/V3, but I did not see anything for the UL. I’d prefer to install the T-Zip before completing the tubes – is there a recommended position for the UL? Related question – is there a recommended direction for the T-Zip, i.e. does it matter of it opens from bottom to top, or top to bottom? I’ve seen both options deployed. My intuition says the zipper should be away from the water, i.e. at the top when closed. However, potentially easier to grab a handful of the stern tube for leverage if opening from the bottom. Any other arguments to consider?

Thanks!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Samsquanch
      Participant

Ah. I just found the link to installing the zipper on the UL, which covers both the position and orientation. I’ll get my coat.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.