Home Forums DIY Packrafts Ultralight DIY Packraft

• Creator
    Topic
    bill
    Participant

Received my ultralight kit in the mail today.

1. it is really light

2. it is really small

I’ve got a zipper to go with it and picked up an iron today, the big hangar 9 one. Might see how that goes before getting something else. I was thinking the trim iron might work on the 40d fabric, but have no experience with this so we will see.

Is anyone else putting one of these together? That fabric seems way too light for a packraft! but the possibility of a 2lb packraft that packs so small is too good to pass up.

bill

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      bill
      Participant

Bought another tube of Aquaseal last night and patched a few more leaks at the joints. Still had a small leak somewhere… may end up installing a zipper next to help me finally seal this boat.

Also just put together a seat, simply folded the extra floor material in half and used the extra strip material as pseudo baffles – one popped off immediately when first inflated, so I’ll either use longer strips of fabric or iron more of the strip to the seat next time. Seats seem easy!

Hoping it will float soon!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by bill.
      bill
      Participant

Well, I’ve got it most of the way together. I definitely forgot some steps, like folding little tabs at the joints, and have had to make up for it with a lot of aquaseal. Also had several seams not come together just right, so plenty of wrinkles at a few spots.

But wow! It’s really looking like a boat now, and it’s so small!

Still patching some leaks at the joints, and debating a second layer to the floor. May try to add a second layer with a valve so that I can blow up the floor… not sure how that will work.

First Inflation

folded up

Hope to be on the water soon!

bill

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Cool! Thanks for posting 😀

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

Hi Bill,

Yep, the ultralight packraft is… ultralight! 😀

The 40D fabric seals at the same temperature as the heavier fabrics, so if you do find a trim sealing iron that is hot enough to seal it, please let us know – so far, I haven’t had any luck.

Cheers!

Matt

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.