Home Forums DIY Packrafts Using a off-the-shelf inflation bag

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    torch
    Participant

Hi all,

I just thought I’d share a positive outcome of trying to use my pre-existing Sea to Summit air stream inflation bag (https://seatosummit.com/product/air-stream-dry-sack/). I already use the bag for my sleeping mat, and I think i might have mistakenly used the square of TPU to go with my inflation bag as a scrap for testing at the start…

Anyway, The valve of the S2S bag and the Black tube (provided in the kit) didn’t match up. But in a moment of inspiration of what other hose I had lying around the house I wondered if a garden hose would fit… It did! And adapted the black tube provided in the kit perfectly to the airstream sack. The garden hose goes into the outlet of the sack, then adapts inside the black hose which fits perfectly inside the boston valve. I also got another piece of hose and wrapped it in a bit of gorilla tape to space it out and have a second adaptor from the pump sack to the flanged boston valve input.

Probably takes a little longer than a larger inflation bag. But worked perfectly in testing. So for those who can’t be bothered, or already have a S2S inflation bag. This might be an easy alternative.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      adelorenzo
      Participant

Nice! I did the same thing with my Thermarest inflation bag. I used different style valves for my boat. Even a lightweight inflation bag is 100 g or more so if you are already carrying a bag for your sleeping mat it makes a ton of sense.

Inflating packraft with Thermarest inflation bag

One of the guys I go on trips with actually connects his boat to his sleeping mat to blow it up while he deflates his boat in camp.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by adelorenzo.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.