Home Forums DIY Packrafts What paddles?

• Creator
    Topic
    Jamie
    Participant

Just wondering what paddles are recommended for the DIY packrafts?

thanks.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      mchill2
      Participant

DIY paddles.Ping ping ball paddles work great. I found that the kayak paddles are a bit awkward. With 2 separate paddles I can better prevent getting water in the boat and avoid moving the tail end of the boat back and forth as I paddle. Someone showed me a set of paddles they had made using sign board like you find in political campaign signs and reinforced with bamboo skewers. Ultralight and effective.

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

I’m currently using a very light two piece carbon kayak paddle made by Werner, which was a very generous gift; if you’re making or purchasing a paddle, I recommend choosing a four piece design because it’s easier to pack.

When it comes to paddles, spending more money generally gets you a lighter, stiffer paddle. Depending on the type of paddling you want to do, an inexpensive lightweight aluminum and plastic paddle may be ideal (for paddling on smaller lakes, e.g.). If you’ll be battling strong winds or whitewater though, a flimsy paddle is not an option, which means you’ll need a heavier or more expensive paddle.

A while ago I wrote a blog post featuring a DIY carbon fiber paddle made by DIY Packrafter Andreas H. Because carbon fiber tubes and sheets are so expensive, I haven’t really considered offering paddle kits in the shop, but maybe one day I’ll be able to afford it…

Lyn St George
      Participant

I bought my MRS from the German store and got their Anfibio paddles too. For the new DIY rafts I have paddles from celticpaddles.com in Anglesey – they make a series specifically for packrafts, and these look the cat’s whiskers.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.