Home Forums DIY Packrafts What plans/kits would you like to see next?

• Creator
    Topic
    Matt (Admin)
    Keymaster

I have several new designs in the works, but there are only so many hours in the day and it takes time to design and prototype things.

Here’s where you can tell me what you would most like to see available on the site – a 2-person packraft kit? A whitewater spray deck option? A cruiser spray deck? A DIY paddle? An inflatable PFD? A seat with a back rest? A self-bailing floor? Dry bags? An inflation bag kit? A multi-chamber option? Something else?

Note: If you wish to reply to a specific comment below, please click the grey “Reply” link above the specific comment you are responding to – then your comment will appear nested below that comment. If you don’t first click the “Reply” link, your comment will appear at the top of the list, out of context!

• This topic was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Matt (Admin).
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Matt (Admin).
Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Haxton
      Participant

I would like to see a heavier raft for alaska moose hunting. Maybe something like the 2 person raft. I have a few friends who would be interested too.

Bikeraft-Billy
      Participant

Hi Matt

You should make a packraft specifically for bikerafting. Have a more durable/thicker material at the bow and stern where you can place your bike. What would be amazing is constructing a 2 person version. Where you have the ability either putting both bikes in the bow or stern for weight distribution and balance.

I’ve also seen little modifications like a sail/kite that can pull your boat on the open waters on a windy day, and a canopy set up to keep the sun off you when your cruising or fishing on flatwater.

Jim Yeo
      Participant

Spraydeck plans. Yes, please!

Hi Matt,

First, congratulations for your so exciting website! Hey, nice idea to ask us the question! These are my needs thus:

Definitely, a 2-person flat-water packraft, but not as the Alpacka Explorer 42 (I own it) which is too short. No, a long 2-person packraft, with side tube parallel with each other: that allows each packraft-builder to choose the length of his own packraft by adding a central piece with the length of his choice (as Jed already said). For instance, I’d need at least 3m50 to go on the sea, > 300m from the side (French laws)… and put a fatbike without taking off wheels. (Is it a lightweight inflatable kayak? a very long packraft? No matter the name…)

Matt, You wrote: “I’ve been working on a two-person packraft design for a while now, but I’d like to avoid the floppy side-tube syndrome that people complain about in the manufactured two-person packrafts. How much of an issue was this for you, @lynsg? I know you found the length an issue for comfort as well (it not really being long enough for two people to stretch out). Should I go ahead and release a typical two-person model with the inherent flaws, or should I wait until I can improve on the industry-standard design?”

The floppy side-tube should be an issue, but not too much in flat waters. I think wind from side is a bigger issue with a long packraft!

To avoid the floppiness of the lateral tubes, maybe we should build them like “a 8” and not “a 0” (I speak about a “cut view” of the tube). I have several Gumotex inflatable kayak: two of them are similar by length (Solar and Helios) and pression; but the Helios is “8” and the Solar is “0”; and the Helios is less floppy. (Moreover, a “8” profile give more space inside.). More difficult to build, but a DIY website is for persons who love that, isn’t it ?!

Maybe a whole inflatable mattress should add stiffness (if tubes are in the length). And that give a mattress for the campsite! And that allows self-bailing which is a great confort in ocean or grade-2 whitewater.

I resume: a 2-person packraft, customizable in length and in width, with 8-profile lateral tubes, self-bailing, and inflatable mattress!!

(Gumotex in Europe = Innova in USA)

(“Helios” is no longer produced; the “8” side-tubes exist on the Gumotex/Innova Safari, and the kayak is stiff enough to surf 1m50 waves)

Paul
      Participant

White water “training wheels” I envision these could consist of 4, foot long pontoons; 2 on each side in the rear and 2 on each side in the front, such that none would be near the paddle stroke zone.  the pontoons would possibly just touch the water to maybe not touch the water….I may try this myself at some point.

Also really like the DIY carbon paddle someone made, looks awesome

and the self bailer for sure

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Cool training wheels idea! It deserves some thought.

Bruce
      Participant

As I close my first packraft, I find I “Need” two new styles. Highest priority for my daughter, is a kids size raft with smaller 10″ or 9″ tubes. These would allow her shorter arms to better navigate the craft. Not reaching so far out past the centerline of the craft means less side to side swing and better tracking. The complexity of the tube designs, however, mean this has to be initially designed digitally. I am willing to buy fabric and make the first prototype. I’ll mail it to you and you cna test it too!

The second “need” is a tandem with a rowing frame. I don’t think I need any new plans. I can simply “stretch” a large plan set making tube section 3 longer and the floor longer. Plus I’ll make it symmetric by using two stern sections. The only real test work is implementing some of my ideas for stiffening the craft so it doesn’t fold or flop in section 3, and in the design of my rowing rig.

Waiting for your fabric to get thru customs! Then I’ll schedule more DIY Workshops. They are incredibly popular!

Bruce

Jeb
      Participant

I’m still pretty excited about the potential for a two person boat.  Has anyone seen the new Alpacka Forager?  Something like that would be perfect.

http://www.alpackaraft.com/product/forager/

If I was designing one, which I don’t have the software to do, I’d make the side tube parallel with each other.  Overall boat would be fatter like the Forager is.  Then the more skilled DIY builders could add or subtract side tube length to make the boat the length they want.  At some point the fabric and seams might start having limitations, but I don’t think we are there yet.  Think someone that wants to fly in to an Arctic river and float it with two people and some gear.  As a paddle boat or even perhaps a mini oar rig.  Or small southwest canyon country rivers.  Just things I’d want to do with one, exactly as the description on the web site for the Forager.  Some raft floppiness isn’t going to bother me, rafts do that.  It’d be the trade-off for a bigger boat..

As a longer/bigger boat, I’d be much less concerned with it having the “big butt” pointed tail although it still could.  More traditional raft shapes would be fine with me, possibly a little easier to build with a wider/stronger seam.

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Interesting! I might try something like this. Thanks, Jeb.

Jeb
      Participant

A two person boat plan and/or kit would be phenomenal.  Something similar to the Explorer 42 perhaps..  I think the boat plans are probably the most helpful for folks, once one learns how to assemble them, they can come up with their own accessories.  Getting the patterns for a new boat design would be a lot harder.

Inflatable PFD would be pretty slick as well, we all know that is something that is still missing from the market.  An ultralight version could be an inflatable horseshoe with a couple straps, a more comfortable one might be a nylon vest with several inflatable inserts..

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Welcome to the forum, Jeb!

I’ve been working on a two-person packraft design for a while now, but I’d like to avoid the floppy side-tube syndrome that people complain about in the manufactured two-person packrafts. How much of an issue was this for you, @lynsg? I know you found the length an issue for comfort as well (it not really being long enough for two people to stretch out). Should I go ahead and release a typical two-person model with the inherent flaws, or should I wait until I can improve on the industry-standard design?

Lyn St George
          Participant

The tubes folding up was an issue even in flat water, and I imagine that in broken water it might well get swamped. Part of the trouble with the MRS X2 is that it doesn’t have a top-up valve usable while paddling – you have to pull up on the bank to top up the pressure. If I were to keep the boat I would definitely add one and that would partly, though only partly, solve the pressure problem.

The other thing is the length – we didn’t notice it too much on the first day but on the second day the boat was quite cramped. Worse, it became obvious that the forward seat needed a backrest, and without that Alex was knackered by the second evening. For long trips the boat needs to be long enough to stretch out in, but then it becomes an inflatable kayak – and needs the same high pressure to keep stability.

Apart from moving to different fabrics and higher pressures (or legless paddlers – in the Gnu you’re supposed to kneel with your legs tucked underneath you) I can’t see how to solve the problem with a boat that is still a packraft that can be carried in a rucksack.

José
            Participant

The only way to create a rigged 2 persons Packraft is using the High-pressure Drop Stitch Floor or aluminum Poles (construction)… 😉

Ben

I know it’s a step away from what you’re currently doing (and would no doubt take time to acquire the necessary skills),  but I would love to see a DIY paddle! Keep up the great work Matt 🙂

André

Id like to see a tank version, I mean like an ultra durable one with maybe some heavier material for the floor. Something with lots of loops and maybe even chords and stuff optionally included, with dry bags for internal storage. Like a proper  expedition kit, not so much focused on being light weight but ultra functional and durable. From what i can see they look great but i wouldnt take it on a month long trip down the Amazon without a really tough bottom or atleast front. But maybe its easy to add extra layers of material  on your own from your current design just by purchasing extra sheets of fabric? Im currently on an around the world bicycle expedition and most bikers are raving about lightweight this and that while my bike is chromesteel with big heavy racks made to last through gravelly mountain roads with food for weeks strapped to it. I sorta want the equivalent of my bicycle in a packraft. Anything under 5 kgs is light enough for us long haulers i think when it comes to water crafts.

Cheers, keep up the amazing work! 😀

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Yep, you can definitely add a layer of fabric anywhere with my design, which would double the strength. I’m working on getting heavier fabrics, but can’t promise a release date yet.

John
      Participant

What I really would like to see would be a multi chamber one with a spray skirt for whitewater and an inflatable backrest. Another thing that would be nice would be a self bailing one that you don’t have to sit in a few inches of water.

José
        Participant

If you create a Packraft with the T-zipper you can insert airtight chambers with your gear then you have a multi chamber Packraft…

Matt (Admin)
      Keymaster

I’ve just uploaded some pictures of the new spray deck to the blog – check the rest out here. 🙂

DIY Packraft Spray Deck

Andrew
      Participant

Hi Matt,

Would also like to see a spraydeck!
      Do you think once you have done a design that it would be able to be retro fitted to your current designs?

Andrew

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

@awg28 Hi Andrew – yes, absolutely! It will not have to be fitted during assembly.

Joy
      Participant

a white water spraydeck – would be fine! looking foreward to it!

José
      Participant

T-zipFor me the spraydeck (with or without the Velcro) or the White water version, and the T-zipper like this model

I own this boat (without the t-zip) but if you want i can give you some size and good pictures from the spraydeck and construction.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by José.
      • This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by José.
        Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Thanks @studio67, I would be very interested to see some detailed pictures and dimensions of the spray deck!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Matt (Admin).
        • This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Matt (Admin).
          José
          Participant

Sorry Matt, was to buzzy with a lot of work…
          And YES you have a nice deck now!

please let me know when the Kit2 + deck is in the shop!
          now the Packraft is so complete! nice job Matt….

José
          Participant

Hi Matt this comming weekend a will take some detailed photos from the spraydeck…

Tomi
      Participant

Next… 2-person packraft and then spraydeck for current packraft 🙂

Thanks Matt for your work on https://www.diypackraft.com
      I think this must be the best outdoor & diy web page of this year!

OlympicMtnBoy
      Participant

I like the self bailing floor idea, always made more sense to me in a raft like this than a spray skirt if it could be done for a reasonable weight. Also a seat with a back would be handy, often I just fold up a full length self inflating sleeping pad into a back rest/seat and that works ok in my current raft.

An inflation bag seems fairly simple once you figure out the boston valve portion? I use a garbage bag rubber banded to an adaptor currently (super light and replaceable) but I have a much different valve.

You can get multiple chambers via a zipper if you need to as well.

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Hi @olympicmtnboy, I’ve posted pictures and a write-up of my inflatable floor test, which could easily be made self-bailing 🙂

OlympicMtnBoy
          Participant

Thanks Matt! I am going to start putting my kit together tomorrow and I’m planning on doing an inflatable floor with it! Now I wish I had ordered an extra small valve though. Do you have any suggestions on US suppliers (or even what type of item to search for)? Or can you figure out a shipping break if I only order a small valve ($7 shipping for $4 valve)?

I’d like to do it self bailing (or one later) but I’ll see how it goes before I cut holes in the floor, hehehe.

Cheers,
          Stewart

Lyn St George
            Participant

Could I make a suggestion here. I plan to use Exped flat valves on my two boats, partly because we have Exped sleeping mats now and it makes sense to use the same schnozzle pump for both. These are excellent little valves anyway, quite unobtrusive and well proven to be reliable. The only negative is the cost – you have to cannibalise an Exped item to get them. If you want a deflation valve as well as the inflation then an air pillow is cheapest, or if you want just the inflation valve (which can also deflate) then a replacement tube for their TT mats is cheapest (at least in the UK). Once cut out, the valve will have a large circle of TPU fabric making it easy to glue onto something.

On the boats I will use one inflation valve near the stern, and use that to release the peak air pressure and the zip to release the air volume. The inflatable floor will have another, probably also near the stern so as not to be blocked when the boat is rolled up.

OlympicMtnBoy
              Participant

Thanks Lyn, that’s a good suggestion! I have an exped downmat and that sort of valve would work great. I think I’ll probably just end up getting a couple more things from Matt but I may keep an eye out at the used gear spots for a similar mattress for late projects.

Matt (Admin)
            Keymaster

Sorry, there’s not much I can do about the parcel postage rates, and I don’t think it could be sent in a letter. I guess another option would be to buy a beach ball and cut the valve out… I’m not sure how good of a valve you could get that way, but it might be worth a try. I couldn’t find similar valves for sale anywhere, which is why I decided to stock them myself.

Alternatively, if you order two valves and some fabric for a seat, it might make the shipping costs more palatable 🙂

Lyn St George
          Participant

What an excellent inflatable floor. I wouldn’t want it self-bailing in the UK climate, but I plan to start my two rafts in March and will definitely incorporate this.

Thanks for the info and photos.

danielharro
      Participant

I will second the spray deck / white water deck. Once you had that dialed in I am going to order 5 boats! Good stuff Matt, keep up the stoke!

Jaredcv13
      Participant

Hi Matt, A 2 person packraft kit would be amazing! I am very interested in constructing something along the lines of the Alpacka Gnu. I am looking to do some two-person back-country expeditions in the spring time, and the added speed of a 2 person packraft would be pivotal to pulling them off. I totally understand if a 2person boat is further down on your queue. If so, do you think your current large packraft can be rigged for two people? Really love your site, and looking forward to building one of my own soon.Thanks for the help.

Matt (Admin)
        Keymaster

Hi Jared,

A 2-person DIY Packraft is in the works and should be available early in the new year. I wouldn’t recommend trying to carry two people + gear in a Large, unless you were paddling only a short distance – it wouldn’t sink, but it would be mighty cramped!

Jaredcv13
          Participant

Awesome to hear Matt. Thanks for the advice and I’ll keep a look out for those plans in the future. happy paddling!

Tristan
      Participant

I’d like to see a paddle and a PFD.

Edvin Mellergård
      Participant

Definitely some kind of srpay deck, that’s the only thing holding me back from ordering one right now. I would prefer a whitewater option but a cruiser spraydeck would be good enough for now 🙂

Marco
      Participant

Hey matt cruiser spraydeck would be interesting, inflatable PFD would be also nice but there are plans for feather vest, combined with the seat free plan are there easy varietys. But the spraydeck, now how to fix the velcro on the not heated tupepieces on groundflor, like alpackas version. I did try to stick ones on my first raft, but dosen’t well results. Talk to a german girl on facebook on the italian packraftconstruction group, she wanna make one for white water. But prinzipial problem is the same. Bigger two person raft its only a longer version with two seats?

Hope to get the drone video next time, post it to the internet as soon ws possible. Grettings marco

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.